The Borderlens is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to providing an alternative space for storytelling about the eastern borderlands, its people, culture, livelihoods, sustenance, local economy, the land, ecology, rivers and waterways, trade and commerce, as well as security and geopolitics.
We are looking for Reporters and Content Writer based out of Guwahati, Itanagar, Imphal and Shillong to join our team and enrich our platform with articles and stories related to the topic.
- Collect, verify and analyse thoroughly newsworthy information
- Assemble findings into a stable story
- Write and deliver news stories with the reader’s perspective in mind
- Receive assignments or investigate news leads/tips
- Abide by journalism’s ethics and codes
- Contact, interview and research sources
- Maintain notes and audio recordings
- Cooperate with reporters, chief editor, producers etc
- Stay up-to-date with the latest current events in the “beat” by studying papers, attending events etc.
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as a Reporter
- Portfolio of published articles or newscasts
- Ability to gather, write and edit news
- Broad knowledge of headlines
- Computer proficiency (MS Office, digital editing, web search, databases)
- Excellent communication and active listening skills
- Integrity and morality
- Bachelor degree in journalism or mass communications or any other relevant field of study
Content Writer responsibilities include conducting thorough research on relevant topics, generating ideas for new content types, and proofreading articles before publication.
- Research a selected topic (both field-based and desk research) and create content that will engage users.
- Curate fresh, relevant, and informative content·
- Work in a team to craft and refine ideas, cultivate sources, report, and write articles.
- Work closely with the editor for input and approval
- Travel to collect stories and articles
- Work together with the social media team to prepare briefs on the articles/stories.
- Proven work experience as a Content Writer, Copywriter or similar role
- Experience doing research using multiple sources
- Familiarity with web publications
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Willingness to travel to collect stories
- Minimum a Bachelor degree in Journalism, or in any field related to social sciences and literature
Interested candidates can send their CV, cover letter, and a writing sample to [email protected] by 15 February 2023. Please do not forget to mention which post you are applying for and your contact number.