The Meghalaya Government has initiated steps to address growing friction along a key inter-state transit corridor, with plans for high-level talks with Assam authorities to resolve operational and safety concerns faced by commercial drivers travelling towards Guwahati.
The move follows concerns raised by Meghalaya-registered tourist taxi operators over alleged harassment, operational difficulties and safety risks while crossing the state border into Assam.
Deputy Chief Minister in charge of Transport Sniawbhalang Dhar announced that a joint meeting would be convened by September 10, bringing together the Transport Commissioners of Meghalaya and Assam, along with representatives of tourist taxi associations from both states.
The decision followed a comprehensive state-level consultation led by Dhar in Shillong.
The meeting was attended by senior officials from the Transport and Home departments, the Deputy Commissioners of Ri-Bhoi and East Khasi Hills districts, the Superintendent of Police, and representatives of various local tourist taxi associations.
During the consultation, transport operators raised persistent grievances that they said had disrupted commercial travel for months and, in some cases, years.
Acknowledging the concerns raised by the drivers as genuine, Dhar said the proposed inter-state meeting would seek to establish a cooperative framework between the two governments to ensure smooth and unhindered movement of commercial vehicles.
Providing immediate relief to commuters, the Deputy Chief Minister said a recent blockade in Assam had already been lifted, allowing traffic between the neighbouring states to return to normal.
Dhar assured that inter-state vehicular movement would continue without restriction while both administrations prepare for the September 10 meeting.
The talks are expected to focus on establishing long-term protocols to prevent future disputes and address concerns relating to inter-state transport and border movement.